Two Birds on the Land Spring Migration Tour


Monday, July 23, 2012

PRACTICAL IDEAS--TINY BOOKS

Inspired by Kim Stafford's description of his small notebooks in The Muses Among Us, I made these. The cover is a 3X5 index card; the pages are one sheet of 8 1/2 X 11 paper folded and cut in particular way.
I sew them on the sewing machine, but you can also staple them. I date the cover, then carry it around with me until it is full. I jot down ideas for writing, but also for art projects.
Driving, I once ordered my sister to pull out my booklet and write: "Make a little backpack with unzippable purse." 


When a booklet is full I put it on my desk, and then glean it for ideas. I'll talk about how this process has changed my writing life at our Two Birds Summer Workshop on August 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment